Do you read the geneaologies in the Bible or skim through them quickly? I must confess that my usual mode is a quick glance for names I recognize, but there is something that draws the eye in Matthew’s lineage of Jesus—FIVE WOMEN ARE LISTED!
I want to know why. Don’t you?
words→pictures→doodle→for some of us: art
If you’re looking for a new way to spend time in the scriptures listening for what God has to say to you today, you might try doodling.
I am not an accomplished artist, but I am a life-long doodler. Here’s the method I use. I invite you to adapt it to fit your own style and skillset.
- Read the verses and pray about them.
- Ask yourself:
- Is there a word or phrase the jumps out at me?
- What visual comes to mind? (It may be as simple as colors, an abstract, a word, or a stick figure…)
- Do the verses remind me of something or someone in my life?
- If I was going to explain this concept to a 6-year-old, what picture would aid in understanding?
- Draw a picture or write the words and let the Holy Spirit guide your thoughts.
Feel free to share your work in the comments.