It’s a word play where the pun is found in an adverb (or adverbial clause) referring to the rest of the sentence. Check ’em out.
- “I need a pencil sharpener,” said Tom bluntly.
- “Oops! There goes my hat!” said Tom off the top of his head.
- “I can no longer hear anything,” said Tom deftly.
- “I have a split personality,” said Tom, being frank.
- “This must be an aerobics class,” Tom worked out.
Sometimes, someone says something really small, and it just fits into this empty place in your heart. ~Winnie Holzman
Maybe it’s not about the happy ending; maybe it’s about the story. ~Michael Bliss