There is a lot packed into these ten verses, but as I was studying them, I had trouble finding a way to divide them up. We will probably have a lot of diversity in what we each hear from God in this lesson.
8 Let me say first that I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith in him is being talked about all over the world. 9 God knows how often I pray for you. Day and night I bring you and your needs in prayer to God, whom I serve with all my heart by spreading the Good News about his Son.Romans 1:8-16, NLT
10 One of the things I always pray for is the opportunity, God willing, to come at last to see you. 11 For I long to visit you so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. 12 When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours.
13 I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to visit you, but I was prevented until now. I want to work among you and see spiritual fruit, just as I have seen among other Gentiles. 14 For I have a great sense of obligation to people in both the civilized world and the rest of the world, to the educated and uneducated alike. 15 So I am eager to come to you in Rome, too, to preach the Good News.
16 For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile. 17 This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”
What specific information do we learn in these verses? Chart your discoveries.
- PAUL. What does Paul tell the Romans, what does he desire, what is his God-given obligation?
- ROMAN CHRISTIANS (RC)/CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY. What are Paul’s actions, how does he want to interact with them, and what does he hope for?
- PRAYER. What does Paul model for us, how does he pray, and what does he pray for?
- FAITH. What do we learn about faith of RC, faith in community, and faith growth? How does faith affect how God views us, and how does it affect us?
- GOD. What aspects of God do you see in these verses? To whom does he offer salvation?
- SPIRITUAL GIFT. What gift does verse 11 refer to?
- GOOD NEWS. How is the Good News spread, viewed, and lived in these verses?
What is God’s main message to you today in verses 8-17?
Sketch or display a picture that demonstrates the message or a portion of the message. What was the assurance or challenge you heard God speaking to you as you read these verses?
Let’s study together. Share any comments, questions, or words of wisdom in the comments, and I’ll read, respond, and share.